Made possible by 2015 XTERRA Warrior award recipient Dave DeSantis, the Dave DeSantis XTERRA Legacy Grant provides one man and one woman, each year for six years (2018-2023), an opportunity to experience an international XTERRA race. Travel funded by the grant is designed to support recipients with financial need to go after their boldest XTERRA travel dream, and result in a connection with the global XTERRA community through a shared love of the “Live More” spirit.
Dave DeSantis XTERRA Legacy Grant details
- Grants are awarded to one male and one female XTERRA racer per year.
- Applications for 2022 grant recipients will be accepted through September 30, 2021.
- The maximum available funding per person is $2,500
- Following completion of XTERRA trip, recipients will submit a few photos and/or video and a short story to share on the Dave DeSantis Legacy Grant pages at www.xterraplanet.com.
- Grant recipients can nominate themselves or someone else.
Submit completed nomination with letter, photo, and/or video (via we transfer) using the form at this page.
An ideal Dave DeSantis XTERRA Legacy Grant trip would:
- Take recipients to a country they have never been before.
- Provide an opportunity for recipients to immerse themselves in a foreign culture.
- Have the award recipient share the “Live More” spirit with new XTERRA friends.
- Perpetuate the memory of XTERRA Warrior Dave DeSantis, cancer fighter and friend to all.
Dave DeSantis was a true XTERRA Warrior and an inspiration to everyone he met. In 2013, he was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma and was given a year to live. He fought the cancer with everything he had and continued to race XTERRA off-road triathlons through his treatment. XTERRA racing and the XTERRA athlete community was a source of support and strength in his battle. Dave was a long-time supporter of the non-profit Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF), whose mission is to provide opportunities and support to people with physical challenges, so they can pursue active lifestyles through physical fitness and competitive athletics. In 2016, Dave took on a personal campaign he called "16 in 2016" - he vowed to compete in 16 XTERRA races in 16 different places around the globe with the goal of raising $16,000 for CAF. He more than doubled his original goal, raising more than $34,000 with the help of many XTERRA athletes who raced for him when he could not.
Dave lost his long and valiant battle with melanoma on June 5, 2017. In his memory, XTERRA renamed the perpetual XTERRA Warrior Award the Dave DeSantis XTERRA Warrior award. To perpetuate his legacy further, his wife Kathy Doyle announced the Dave DeSantis XTERRA Legacy Grant. Dave traveled and raced XTERRA all around the world. He rode with passion in his heart and love in his soul. The sport brought immeasurable joy into his life, and his happiness was obvious when you heard him cheerfully whistling while pedaling away for another ride, another race, another challenge. Even while facing his own mortality, Dave continued to think of how he could help the people around him. It is rare to find a person with such a giving, kind, and generous spirit.